Sunday, July 17, 2011

can you build it ... yes we can!

I would first like to point out that we are FAR from handy.  Since we aren't exactly Handy Manny (does anyone notice all the Disney Junior references lately?!) the project we decided to take on this weekend was HUGE!  (FYI:  the pictures aren't great because the space was limited and the lighting was horrible!)

For my birthday, Kyle got me a closet system.  I have been dreaming of having one of those fancy closet systems for a while.  You know the ones that are made of wood and have shelves and drawers.  He picked it out all by himself and did a great job. 



We decided that this weekend was THE weekend.  It was time to install the closet system.  So Saturday morning we got ready.  Got all the tools out and opened the box and saw about 100 different pieces. 

OK so it is hard to tell here but imagine 100 pieces. 

We started to take the old closet system down.  You know the white wire ones.  I look back on it and know that I should have known that every screw was going to be anchored into the wall.  And that we were going to have to get those anchors out, but I just didn't expect it to tear up the wall.  By the time we were done, we had huge holes all in the wall.

 
Really bad picture, but if you look close you can see the holes.  So instead of putting up the closet system Saturday, we had to spackle the holes and repaint the closet. 


You can see the old color (not my choice, it was in the house when we got here) against the new color.  And we did decide to leave half of the closet in the old color, because when Kyle gets jealous of my closet system, we will end up having to rip anchors out of his wall and have a repeat of the spackling and repainting as well!

So Sunday we got to start on installing the closet system.  We did have a few mistakes, like installing the most important board upside down.  But other than that I think we did a great job. 

Here is the finished product ..... 



And my favorite part is the shelves ... I love being able to fold and stack my sweaters!




So we get to add another home improvement project under our belt! 

(oh yeah ... and GO TIGERS!)

No comments:

Post a Comment